Friday, October 13, 2017

Goofin' Off With an Exciting Possibility and a Disney Animator, Director, and Producer

Last weekend, Mr. Goofin' Off and I had the opportunity to hear a 32-year Disney veteran speak here at a local community college. It was so much fun and fascinating to hear his stories of his years working on movies, books, and Disney theme park projects. I'll save that for later since so many of you are here for the updates on my projects.

I have finished assembling the center of the first Toy Story quilt for my nephew and his adorable wife. I am pleased with how it's turning out. Just need to get those borders on now and then go ahead and sandwich, quilt or tie, and bind it.

First Toy Story Quilt - Center Assembly

Here is a close up of the design and fabric.  It like it so much, I may have to make another one at some point...maybe for charity.

Woody is Adorable Smiling and Tipping His Hat

Just a reminder that the pattern comes from the book Modern Views With 3-Yard Quilts. The fabric of Woody from Toy Story comes from Camelot Fabrics.

I managed to get some stitching in over the past week and you can find the top of Goofy's head getting closer to completion. I still can't wait for more of his friends to appear in their pirate attire.

Mickey and Pirate Friends Cross Stitch as of 10/13/2017

I like to post a picture about once a month of what the piece should look like once it is finished. It also helps to keep me motivated to see where I am headed with it.

Mickey and Pirate Friends - End Goal for Me

Towards the end of last week, I received an unexpected e-mail about an opportunity that I had applied for months ago. I had honestly assumed they weren't interested and had forgotten about it until I received the e-mail. I had a phone interview earlier this week and have my fingers crossed I will hear something back sooner rather than later. Who wouldn't want to have their dream job? If you think about it send positive thoughts, cross your fingers and toes, say a little prayer, etc., for me. I appreciate all you!

Last Saturday, our local group of Disney enthusiasts got to a meet-up at the local community college and hear Dave Bossert speak. I love this group. If you live in the Pacific Northwest area and are a Disney enthusiast you can find the group and all of their activities here at www.pnwmousemeet.com. They even handed out a little swag which included an Oswald the Lucky Rabbit frisbee.

Oswald the Lucky Rabbit Frisbee

Dave worked with Disney for 32 years as an animator, producer, director, and as well as on special theme park projects. He worked on movies such as Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Nightmare Before Christmas, to name a few.

One of his more recent projects actually has been to hunt down, save, and resort Walt Disney's first series of cartoon shorts...the Oswald the Lucky Rabbit series. Can you see the resemblance in the picture of the rabbit to a certain mouse? Throughout his presentation, he showed us three different shorts. It was fascinating and fun to watch them.

He talked a little about his work that he did on movies and some stories about some antics that happened behind the scenes at the studio...including a flying nun habit that apparently wasn't as funny to a newly-hired Michael Eisner and his group as it was to the animators who were horsing around with it.

His speaking about the movies he worked on...namely The Nightmare Before Christmas...reminded me of this fun new Halloween display greeting us outside of Disney's California Adventure last month.

Oogie Boogie from The Nightmare Before Christmas Greeting Guests at Night

Sorry for more Disney pictures...well, sort of...  I have a few more to share with you before Halloween.

This got me thinking...about Halloween...about movies and cartoons...and I must ask...do you have a favorite Halloween movie or cartoon? I'm kind of partial to It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. It's very nostalgic to me. I'd love to hear in the comments if you have a favorite or favorites. Maybe there will be something new for me to check out this year.

Have a magical day, my friends!

Linking to More Funtastic Quilting/Stitching Blogs:
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop
Finished or Not Friday
Friday Foto Fun
Show Off Saturday

30 comments:

  1. Sending you a little prayer, some wishing and some hoping and how about some pixie dust that your dream job will come true! I'm with you on favorite Halloween Movies, I'm partial to the Charlie Brown too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sending pixie dust would be quite appropriate for this particular job. (smiling) There is something so lovable about Charlie Brown, isn't there? Thanks for dropping by, my friend! Andrea

      Delete
  2. You obviously live near Disneyland. How often do you visit there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I lived near Disneyland. This picture was from the trip we took last month. We try to visit Disney at least once but usually twice a year. The use of air miles, a timeshare, and reduced price on an annual pass (thanks to the timeshare), make the cost much more reasonable than one might thing. Thanks for dropping by and leaving me a note, Jo!

      Delete
  3. Wow the quilt looks great...... Weldone.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Almost to the finish line on this one. Thanks for dropping by and leaving me a note!

      Delete
  4. I agree with you about great pumpkin, very nostolgic. I recently watched a series of videos on YouTube about Walk Disney's life. I thought his early work was especially interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I learn about Walt, I amazed at all the things he accomplished. I have had the opportunity to actually meet a few people who worked with him. The stories are always pretty much one of how Walt worked them hard, but they always played hard, too...and family was the world to him. I do love the Great Pumpkin cartoon and look forward to watching it again this year. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  5. Wow that's so cool!!! I was actually hoping you lived near Disneyland, I'm heading out there in a few weeks! I'm not actually a big Halloween fan... >_< so I don't have any favorites :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your trip. I wish I did live out that way...well, maybe not at the moment with all the fires they have been having. If you ever travel to the Seattle area, let me know. I'd love to meet up. Andrea

      Delete
  6. That truly is a cool quilt pattern. Can't wait to see how you quilt it. The cross stitch is going to be wonderful, too. Fingers crossed and prayers heavenward for the dream job...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million! I have my fingers and toes crossed, too. Time will tell. If not, well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Thanks for dropping by and leaving me a message.

      Delete
  7. That quilt pattern is great to showcase the theme fabric! What an ambitious cross stitch! You're making good headway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The quilt pattern was chosen specifically because I thought it would show case the fabric well...and it does! The cross stitch piece is the largest I have ever worked on. It's been a bit of a challenge at times, but I have really been enjoying it. Thanks for dropping by and leaving me a note! Andrea

      Delete
  8. The quilt looks great Andrea and great progress on Mickey and his pirate friends.

    Saying a prayer for you and your new job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Still sitting here...twiddling my thumbs...waiting to hear one way or the other on my job. Well, actually, I'm not really twiddling my thumbs, but I have been getting a bit of stitching done. Happy stitching, my friend! Andrea

      Delete
  9. That cross-stitch is going to be a stunner! And I've always loved that woven circles style quilt pattern, wow you got it together quickly! Sending positive vibes for your dream job. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra. I have enjoyed putting the quilt together. I'm looking forward to seeing how the borders set it all off. Thanks for the positive vibes for the job. Hopefully, I'll hear something one way or the other in the next few days. Thanks for dropping by and leaving me a note. Andrea

      Delete
  10. Hi Andrea love the quilt it looks fantastic,and i am loving watching your cross stitch growing,hope you have a lovely day my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend! I am having so much fun with the projects I am working on. I enjoy seeing things come together. It seems with almost every stitch, I am seeing Goofy come to life. Can't wait for the rest of the crew to appear. Thank you for dropping by and leaving me a message as it makes me smile. Andrea

      Delete
  11. Sending ((((enfolding thoughts & prayers))))) for your dream job, i'll be keen to hear of your success.
    I loved the story about your Disney group. How interesting to be party to those antic.
    I also think the colours in your opening header are so pretty.
    Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, They are a fun group to get together with. Thank you for the compliment on the header. I was messing around with Photoshop one day and came up with it. Thanks for dropping by and leaving me a note! Andrea

      Delete
  12. Good luck on the job front - hope you have good news soon! Hmmm...pixie dust, are you going to work at Disneyland as Tinkerbell?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Justine, That's a great guess...and I'd love to work at Disneyland...but it would be way too far of a commute. But thanks for the pixie dust. I am still anxiously awaiting to hear. Thanks for dropping by and leaving me a pixie-dusted message. Andrea

      Delete
  13. Oh I do hope you are going to hear positive outcome about the dream job!! I reckon it must be linked to Disney and Goofy;) how exciting!!
    Great progress on the quilting and stitching!! I love that fun cross stitch design and always enjoy seeing it coming along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind thoughts. I am still patiently awaiting for further information. It took me a while to hear back initially, so I am not too concerned at the moment. I continue to enjoy working on the Goofy cross stitch any time I can. Thanks for dropping by and leaving the nice note. Andrea

      Delete
  14. Wonderful news about your dream job, Andrea. I have my fingers crossed for you, although it makes it hard to type at the moment.

    Your center block on your Toy Story quilt is fabulous. I sew paper to paper and I tear fabric to make art, but there's NO WAY I could ever do anything like you are doing. I simply applaud you on the great first step in this quilt I'm sure is going to be stunning.

    Goofy is starting to look good, too. I was amazed how much more work you have on that one, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. I don't think I could do what you do, either...but I can sure appreciate the art that you create. Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. Andrea

      Delete
  15. I'll definitely be sending you lots of positive thoughts and pixie dust. Love your project progress. That pirate piece is just to die for indeed. The speaker definitely sounds like something you would love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the pixie dust, Katie! It sounds like it worked. Just need to sign the paperwork and get it back. Thanks for dropping by! Andrea

      Delete

For the time being, all comments will require consent. I am trying to keep out any spam. Thank you for your patience.