Friday, October 6, 2017

Goofin' Off With a Splash of Color and Some Disneyland Pics

October has begun. This year, I feel it's kicking off the holiday season...beginning with Halloween. When we got to play at Disneyland a few weeks ago, they were beginning to decorate for Halloween. I've been going through my pictures and decided to share a few at the end to kick off the Halloween season here in the Goofin' Off house.

But I know many of you just come for all the quilting and stitching goodies, so I'll get started there first. A few weeks ago I decided to participate in my first quilt along. This quilt along is being hosted by Myra at Busy Hands Quilts. The name of this quilt along is Black and White with a Splash of Color. I chose to participate because the rules were pretty easy and progress is only posted every two weeks. It has just begun, so if you want to join in, it's not too late. 

My Splash of Color Fabrics

The only rule is that:  "Your quilt must be black and white with a splash of color, any color." You can see the fabrics I have chosen to use. As you can see, I've chosen blue as my splash of color. The picture is a bit misleading as I will just be using just some scraps and leftovers of blues from previous quilts. However, I will be using almost 3 yards each of the white and black fabrics that I pulled from my stash. This project should be a good stash and scrap buster.

If you're just now finding my blog through the quilt along, please feel free to follow me. I love meeting new people and making new friends.

Mickey Mug Inspiration

This Mickey mug became the inspiration for the fabrics I chose and the pattern I'll be using for the quilt top. The pattern is called "Wine Country" and comes from the December/January 2017 edition of McCall's Quick Quilts.

Mickey and Pirate Friends Cross Stitch as of 10/06/2017

I got another small section finished on Mickey and Pirate Friends. I am beginning to see Goofy's pirate beard begin to take shape. I am still anxiously awaiting to see some of his pirate friends appear. This continues to be a lot of fun to work on despite all the constant changing of thread colors.

Disneyland Halloween Pictures Ahead

This is the first year in a while that I have actually been excited for Halloween. I am guessing it has something to do with the fact that when we were at Disneyland a few weeks ago, they were getting things all gussied up for this fun holiday. I snapped some pictures. Here are some pictures from the Cars Land area at Disney's California Adventure.

Giant Spider Hung Between Power Poles

A Spooky Face Hung Between Power Poles

I love the Cars Land area of the parks. If you have seen the movies, as you walk through this area, it feels as if you are actually walking through the movie itself. It is fantastic. 

Baby Tractor Dressed as Mummy

This adorable baby tractor was all dressed up as a mummy at Mater's Petting Zoo. 

Movie Posters That Have Been Re-Done With a Cars Theme

These Were So Much Fun to Read

Even the characters from the Cars movie were all dressed up for Halloween.

Mater All Dressed Up as Dracula

The small details of the Halloween theme were everywhere. Take a look at this adorable pumpkin patch...all made from gasoline cans. 

Pumpkin Patch of Gasoline Cans

It's given me a few ideas for Halloween decorations at the Goofin' Off house. I have a feeling I will be checking out Pinterest this weekend for a few more ideas.

Do you do anything special for Halloween?  Feel free to leave a comment and let me know. 

For More Stitching, Quilting, and Other Crafting Goodness, Follow the Links Below to Some of My Favorite Link Parties:

33 comments:

  1. I like the mug you are using as inspiration for the quilt, lovely pattern with an almost hidden Mickey!
    Hallowe'en at Disney looks fun, they must really love planning all the changes. The movie posters are inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the mug is a fun piece of inspiration...even if the Mickey isn't quite so hidden. This was the first year they had done decorations in this particular area of the park, so we were surprised at how thorough they were. There were so many more that I didn't get pictures of. Thanks for dropping by, Jo!

      Delete
  2. Blue is my favorite color so I am excited to see what your splash of color quilt is going to look like finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, I'm kind of excited to see how the quilt turns out, too. I can see it in my mind, but my sometimes my mind plays tricks on me. It is a fun endeavor, and the quilt will go to charity, so it's a win-win either way. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  3. Yeah, so happy you're quilting along with us! I look forward to seeing your great fabric pull become a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra, Thank you for putting this together. I loved how forgiving the "rules" for this quilt along are. I would definitely do more of these in the future. Thanks for dropping by! Andrea

      Delete
  4. Can't go wrong with blues in a quilt! Mine is going to be blues and greens on the b&w!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited to see what everyone comes up with. Thanks for stopping by! Andrea

      Delete
  5. Oh I love the colors you are using for the new quilt. I bet it will look really pretty. Your stitching project looks fantastic. Keep it up!! Love the Halloween pictures at Disney. I bet that would be a fun place to visit during this time of year. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I am loving the color combination for the quilt right now, too. I seem to be in love with blues at the moment. As for Disney being fun to visit during Halloween...well, personally, I think it's fun to visit any time of year. Just wish the checkbook felt the same way. Thanks for dropping by! Andrea

      Delete
  6. It looks like the Disney folks are very creative with their decorations, using such common items to make some really interesting and unusual scenes.

    I don't know what you're going to do with your blues but you have a nice selection there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Disney folks are quite creative. I was amazed at the fun details we found. I seem to be in love with using blues on my quilts at the moment, so this will be a fun project to use up some of those blue scraps, odds and ends. Thanks for dropping by! Andrea

      Delete
  7. I look forward to watching the new quilt grow as blue is my favorite color--love the fabrics you've chosen.

    What fun to visit Disneyland at Halloween--I've never been, but now that my son lives in California, who knows?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, The new quilt will grow slowly as updates are slow for the quilt along. However, I am just as excited as everyone else to see how it turns out. I know what I think it will look like in my head. LOL As for Disneyland, it's always worth a trip...even if you're not a "ride" person. If you ever want tips to make your visit match your personality and likes, I'd be happy give a few tips. Thanks for dropping by and leaving me a note. Andrea

      Delete
  8. I love your colors for your quilt. Thanks for sharing your Disney Halloween pictures. This is the first year in a long time we will not be visiting the parks for Halloween ... sniff sniff ... LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beckie, I'm sorry you'll be missing the parks for Halloween. We don't usually get there during that time of year, so it was a bonus they had the decorations up mid-September. So far, I am enjoying the colors of the quilt, too. I am excited to see how it comes together. Thanks for dropping by and leaving me a note! Andrea

      Delete
  9. I've been considering the Splash of Color QAL because I have so many scraps, but I wasn't sure I'd have time. Plus, I promised myself no more new quilts until I finish at least 10 more WIPs. But now you've gone and inspired me! I may have to dig through my scraps and join in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flexibility and length of the Splash of Color QAL is what helped me decide to give it a try. It's my first QAL, and I am so glad I've joined in. I hope you join in. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with. Andrea

      Delete
  10. The design on the Mickey mug is wonderful. I can see why you picked that as your inspiration piece. The Disneyland Halloween photos are fun! Baby Tractor and Mater are fabulous!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Soma. It's always funny where I find inspiration for designs and colors for my quilts. We had a fun time at Disneyland and enjoyed all the festive fall and Halloween decorations. Thanks for dropping by and leaving me a note. Andrea

      Delete
  11. Since everything in my world is pretty much Disney and Halloween 24/7, loving the new DL decorations! They are going all out this year looks like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keiley, They certainly are going all out this year. I just wish I had your photography skills to show it off properly. The details are amazing...but I wouldn't expect anything less from Disney. Have a magical day! Andrea

      Delete
  12. Love the Disney Halloween pictures, so cool!!! Not envious whatsoever... just a bit :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It seems so long ago already. LOL But I do love my Disney, so it's fun to share them...along with my stitching and quilting projects. Thanks for dropping by and leaving me a note. Andrea

      Delete
  13. I was at Disneyland in mid-September too! It was amazing, all the Halloween themed car parts in Cars Land. There were so MANY people there. California Adventure has expanded as well.
    Love those blue fabrics, they'll be great in a Mickey quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, How fun that you were at Disneyland mid-September, too. Maybe we stood in line behind you...or passed by you on our way to Flo's V-8 Diner. Thanks for dropping by and leaving me a note! Andrea

      Delete
  14. Your blues with the black and white will so pretty! I love that you are using the design on the mug for inspiration. You just never know where we will find it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am looking forward to seeing how it comes together.

      Delete
  15. A splash of blue sounds cool! Have fun. No splashing for me although it sounds tempting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's my first quilt along. I decided to give it a go since it was quite flexible in the requirements. Thanks for dropping by and leaving me a note. Andrea

      Delete
  16. I bet Halloween at Disneyland is a blast. It would be inspiration overload for me as I love Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disneyland was definitely inspiring. This is the first year in quite a few I have actually been excited for the holiday. Thanks so much for dropping in and leaving me a note. Andrea

      Delete
  17. I love all the blues for your quilt! And thanks for sharing Cars Land, I think that is one of my favourite Disney movies.

    ReplyDelete

For the time being, all comments will require consent. I am trying to keep out any spam. Thank you for your patience.