Thursday, August 24, 2017

Goofin' Off Aboard a Pirate Ship

Ahoy, mates! As Captain Jack Sparrow says:  "It's not the destination so much as the journey." Last weekend we had a famous pirate ship...well, sort of famous...sail into town. Mr. Goofin' Off and I were able to go down to the waterfront, board the ship, and take a few pictures. This ship has some Disney ties to it, so of course I'll have to share it with you.

I wasn't feeling too hot this weekend, so I kind of took it easy.  Despite that, I did manage get some work done on my newest quilt. I spent some time cutting out the pieces for my new quilt. The quilt pattern is called "Square Dance", so I'm calling my quilt "Gingerbread Square Dance".

Everything is All Cut and Ready for Gingerbread Square Dance

The first step of this pattern is to sew some strip sets together. I love patterns that use strip sets. They really make things go so much more quickly. Here are the strip sets all sewn together and ready to be sub-cut.

Strip Sets for Gingerbread Square Dance

I talked Mr. Goofin' off into stopping at JoAnn's this weekend, so I could get the last of the thread that I needed for my Frozen Fun cross stitch pieces. Here is the first finish:

Frozen Fun Cross Stitch Finish #1

Mmm, that looks so scrumptious!

Mr. Goofin' Off and I like to go walking down on the waterfront. Every year there are some replica ships that come in to the small port there. I had heard rumors that one of the ships had been used in some movies and TV shows, so I did a little research this year before they came into town. 


View from the Boardwalk

On our Friday evening walk along the boardwalk, we could see the two ships.  The ship on the left is the Hawaiian Chieftan and the ship on the left is the Lady Washington.  The Lady Washington is the ship that is sort of a movie star in its own right...sort of.  

I checked the schedule, and it looked like Sunday morning the ships would be available to go aboard and take pictures and ask questions. Here she is Sunday morning waiting for us to come on board. 

Lady Washington Waiting to be Boarded by the Goofin' Offs

During my research I found out that the Lady Washington had been used in the movie Star Trek: Generations.  Now Mr. Goofin' Off is a huge Star Trek fan, so he immediately recognized this area from the movie and had to boldly stand where Captain Jean-Luc Picard had stood before him. 

Mr. Goofin' Off Standing Where Captain Picard Once Stood

As for me, the Disney geek, nerd, enthusiast, I found out that the ship had been used in the movie Pirates of the Caribbean:  The Curse of the Black Pearl.  The ship was one of the British ships portrayed in the movie, the HMS Interceptor. There was a plaque from the movie on the ship that had been signed by some of the cast and crew of the movie. Sorry the picture wasn't as clear as I had hoped.

Plaque from Pirates of the Caribbean:  Curse of the Black Pearl

When I asked the gal volunteering on the ship the last time the Lady Washington had been used for filming, she told me just last month...up in Vancouver, BC...for the filming of Once Upon a Time (the TV series). Yep, the Lady Washington can also be seen playing the role of the Jolly Roger, Captain Hook's ship, on the TV show. I am guessing that means we will be seeing more of Captain Hook in the upcoming season. Yay!

I decided to help Hook out by steering the ship. Mr. Goofin' Off made sure I knew that this was a tiller and not a rudder...because, you know, he wants to make sure I call it a tiller and not a rudder and confuse all my blogging friends. 

I'm Steering the Jolly Roger for Captain Hook!

The ship is much smaller in real life than it appears in the movies. But I did manage to take a few more shots. 

A Replica of a Cannon

The Bell Waiting to Be Rung

The bell was all shiny and pretty...just tempting all the little ones (and more than a few adults) to ring it. There was a sign indicating not to ring the bell. Of course, the littlest ones can't read, so when Mommy and Daddy weren't paying attention, it got rung once or twice...much to the dismay of the volunteer in the area. 


The Lady Washington Herself Adorning the Front of the Ship

This is not our first time encountering a ship from the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. Back in 2009 we got to enjoy the Flying Dutchman

Me and the Flying Dutchman in 2009 at Castaway Cay

I'll leave you today with a few thoughts from Captain Jack Sparrow. Even a pirate can have some great insights to life. 

"The problem is not the problem.
The problem is your attitude about the problem.
Do you understand?"
-Captain Jack Sparrow

"The seas may be rough,
but I am the captain!
No matter how difficult,
I will always prevail.
-Captain Jack Sparrow"

Thanks joining me on my journey today. Blogging would not be the joy that it is without all of my readers and fellow bloggers.

Linking Up To:
Needle and Thread Thursday
Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop!
Finished or Not Friday
Scrap Happy Saturday

32 comments:

  1. What fun Andrea. Congrats on the cute finish.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! The ice cream stitchy piece was a lot of fun. I enjoyed have a small piece to work on. Thanks for dropping by! Andrea

      Delete
  2. What a fun day - I love those old ships! Congratulations on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We had a great day and enjoyed exploring the ship. Thanks for dropping by! Andrea

      Delete
  3. What a fun time! ( on that rudder thing there) But I can certainly see why someone would want to ring the bell? What fun projects you are working on. So lucky to live somewhere near water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the bell was nice and shiny just waiting for someone to ring it. We do enjoy where we live...just minutes to the water or the mountains. What we don't enjoy is the gray skies nine months of the year. This is the "pretty" time of year here. Happy sewing! Andrea

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you! We did enjoy ourselves. I'm always a sucker for Disney movie memorabilia. Thanks for dropping by! Andrea

      Delete
  5. Well honestly, don't have a bell if you don't want it rung! Put a bag over it LOL
    Nice to see you getting the names of the parts right too. You had a good instructor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I know. The bell was so shiny, even I was dying to ring it. My boating terms instructor is good at so many things. I think I'll keep him around forever. Happy stitching! Andrea

      Delete
  6. Hi Andrea,lots os lovely pics of a fun day thankyou for sharing and lovely work my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We did have such a lovely time. And thank you for dropping by! Have a great weekend! Andrea

      Delete
  7. Looks like a great adventure! Nice cross stitch finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela, Mr. Goofin' Off and I are all about fun adventures. Thank you for the compliment. That cross stitch ice cream was a lot of fun to work on...even if it did make me hungry. Thanks for dropping by! Andrea

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful ship! Looks like a fun trip. Great start to your new quilt. Always so much fun to start something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. It is so much fun to start something new...and to finish a project up. Sometimes it's the time in the middle of the project that I need to muddle through. We had a fantastic time touring the ship. Thank you for dropping by! Andrea

      Delete
  9. Loved seeing Lady Washington again after many years. Sailing is in my bblood. As a teen I sailed in my uncle's 42--foot schooner around Newport and Block Island. Glad you both had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that you've been able to do some sailing. I haven't done much sailing. My parents had a motor boat when I was growing up that was mainly used for water skiing. The Lady Washington was a pretty boat. They keep her up very well. Thanks for dropping by! Andrea

      Delete
  10. What a fun weekend excursion. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We did have a fun weekend. We try to do something fun every weekend. Have a great weekend! Andrea

      Delete
  11. Looks like a fun day at the waterfront, with so many interesting things to see. Love the ice cream and the new start on the Gingerbread Square Dance quilt.

    Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faith, We did have a lot of fun down on the waterfront. The ice cream stitching made me hungry every time I worked on it. Thanks for dropping by! Andrea

      Delete
  12. What a fun post! Thanks for sharing the ships. I always love seeing tall ships and, though I imagine I wouldn't be so enamored of it on an ocean crossing, it looks so romantic and wonderful. =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow-the Star Trek ship! :) Fun post, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. My hubby is a huge Star Trek fan, so he was pretty thrilled. He re-watched the movie after we got home. Thanks for dropping by! Andrea

      Delete
  14. Love that fabric for your Gingerbread project, and what a fun outing - I'd be completely smitten with that ship on all three counts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynette. As I get farther along with the gingerbread quilt, I am glad I chose the pattern I did. Of course, every time I see all those goodies in the fabric, it makes me very hungry. The ship was a lot of fun to tour. Thanks for dropping by! Andrea

      Delete
  15. Kudos on your cross stitch finish. Thanks for linking up with TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great, now I want ice cream!
    Looks like you had a good time on the ship, fun pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The ice cream stitching kept making me hungry for ice cream, too. Thanks for dropping by! Andrea

      Delete
  17. Oh how cool. I love Once Upon a Time. Thanks for sharing your fun adventure on the ship. Love your ice cream finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know there are more Once Upon a Time people out there. We're anxiously awaiting to see how the new season comes out. They really are changing up the casting quite a bit this time. Thanks for dropping by! Andrea

      Delete

For the time being, all comments will require consent. I am trying to keep out any spam. Thank you for your patience.