Thursday, August 31, 2017

Goofin' Off at the Evergreen State Fair

We received some free tickets last weekend for the Evergreen State Fair in Monroe, Washington. Mr. Goofin' Off did some volunteering at a table for the Historic Flight Foundation for part of the time while I wandered around the exhibits that I knew wouldn't excite him. Wait until you see what I discovered.

As the month of August and my "sweets" projects come to an end, I am reminded of a quote by Charles M. Schultz:

All you need is love.
But a little chocolate now and then
Doesn't hurt.

I have finished the blocks for the Gingerbread Square Dance quilt. Is that a hidden Mickey I see? 

Blocks for Gingerbread Square Dance Quilt

The blocks have been assembled with the focus fabric to create the rows for the center of the quilt.

Rows Assembled for Gingerbread Square Dance Quilt

I hope to have a picture of the completed quilt by the time of my next blog post. Fingers crossed!

Although I didn't have a lot of stitching time this week, I did manage to get a little bit more stitched on Goofy's pirate hat.

Mickey and Pirate Friends Cross Stitch as of 08/30/2017

As I mentioned before, we got some free tickets to the fair last weekend due to Mr. Goofin' Off doing some volunteer time there. The table he was at was near one of the doors. I noticed that right outside the door was the entrance to Frontier Land.

Entrance to Frontierland at Evergreen State Fair

Wait! Were we at Disneyland? Nope. But it got me thinking...about Disney of course...and how much Disney did I think I could find. I went on a Disney discovery tour. It didn't take long before I was getting a little hungry and went out to the food booths. What should I spy there?

Dole Whip Stand at Evergreen State Fair

There was a Dole Whip stand. Unlike the one at Disneyland that has waits of up to 45 minutes for this tasty treat, there was no line up here...at least not yet. It was pretty early in the day when I passed by, and as the temperatures rose up into the 80's, I am sure they got busy later on.

Out by the rides I came across these babies...

Teacup Rides at the Evergreen State Fair

I chose not to climb on board one of these as 1) I didn't have a little one with me and would have looked silly; and 2) like the ones at Disneyland, I have a feeling I'd have been queasy the rest of the day.

On to the exhibits I went exploring. Would I find any Disney projects at the fair? Yep. Lots and lots of them...so many I couldn't possibly post all the pictures. But here are a few of my favorites. 

My Favorite Quilt

Technically, this probably isn't a "Disney" quilt, but I immediately noticed one...no two...possibly even more hidden Mickeys in this quilt design. I was totally in love with the quilt, the colors, and the hidden Mickeys.

Star Wars Lego Sculptures

These Lego pieces were fantastic! People are so creative. I can see Mr. Goofin' Off working on something like this.

The last piece I'd like to show you really caught my eye. 

Star Wars/Dr. Who Quilt at Evergreen State Fair

This quilt was made up of a mixture of Star Wars and Dr. Who fabrics. While I probably wouldn't have thought to put them together, the colors went along so well that this became my second-favorite quilt of the day. 

I feel it wouldn't be right not to mention all of the tragedy and devastation that has happened in Texas with Hurricane Harvey (as well as other things going on throughout the world). My thoughts and prayers are with all those affected. If you feel so inclined, go do something nice for someone today. You never know what they're going through. 

Thank you for dropping by to read my blog. Feel free to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. 

14 comments:

  1. Don't you love state fairs?! And free tickets makes it even sweeter. Love the colorful Legos. And the quilts, of course! I'm working on a Dr. Who quilt myself...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Nancy! I'll be watching your blog for more Dr. Who fun. Happy sewing! Andrea

      Delete
  2. Hi Andrea,those state fairs look like fun,we dont have them where i live,lovely post my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by. Yes, the fair can be a lot of fun. There is a lot of different things to see and do. Have a great weekend! Andrea

      Delete
  3. Smart idea to looking specifically for Disney at the fair. You definitely found it. Loved all the pictures but the circle quilt is definitely my favorite one. Imagine the work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Mary! Yes, the circle quilt would take a lot of work. I tend to make simple quilts because my quilting time is limited. But I do admire those who take the time to do such beautiful quilting. Have a great weekend! Andrea

      Delete
  4. You always make me smile with what you get up to. And your photos are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love to smile around the Goofin' Off house. Glad you get a smile out of our antics, too. Thanks for dropping by, Jo! Andrea

      Delete
  5. I have Star Wars and Dr Who fans in my house so I enjoyed seeing that quilt. Fairs are fun. I used to judge at one where I live but after giving a white ribbon, I wasn't asked to judge anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got Star Wars fans here, but honestly have never seen Dr. Who. I know we need to get up to speed there since we geek out on so many other sci-fi things. I can't imagine judging at a fair. That must have been fun. Thanks for dropping by! Andrea

      Delete
  6. Oh, Stars Wars AND Doctor Who? And the Legos? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were so many fun things to look at while enjoying the fair. Loved all the beautiful quilts and cross stitch pieces. Happy stitching! Andrea

      Delete
  7. LOL I definitely see the hidden Mickey in your quilt. How fun. Thanks for sharing your other pictures. I love how much Disney sneaks into your life. Love the legos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how much Disney "sneaks" into my life or I just am seeing things. LOL Have a great day! Andrea

      Delete

For the time being, all comments will require consent. I am trying to keep out any spam. Thank you for your patience.